Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Favorites that feed my style

I love to sew and I love clothes, but I am also not in the "if it costs more its better" group of people. I love a good bargain, or the ability to make it myself. I also love the slightly funky, vintage-y, "different" look that is becoming more popular, but also still seems to maintain an ability to be unique. There are several major clothing companies out there that I like: Anthropologie, Forever21 (not all of their stuff, but a lot of it), and yes even Old Navy (although lately, not so much), and more....

I have recently discovered a couple of websites that I am becoming quite fond of. One is www.burdastyle.com - this is a sewing site with free patterns posted by users. Some of the patterns are a bit boring, but there is quite a bit that inspires me to want to create. I have a lot of commercial patterns and I often want them just slightly different. This site shows me that I can do it, that I can make that pattern more me and my own, now I just need to find the time.

Another is www.modcloth.com - this site is a clothing company started by a woman and her husband who had a love of vintage clothes. Not only do they offer one of a kind vinatge finds but they also have an incredible selection of New Vintage Style clothes and accessories. I love it, the prices are reasonable and I would buy and wear so much of what is here. Plus I love to support the small folks that have built something from scratch.

Lastly (for today) is www.etsy.com - this is an online marketplace for all that I find intriguing and beautiful. A friend has a shop on this site, I haven't asked her how well she does, but it certainly makes her handmade items look incredible. I have always though that if I could get my act together well enough that I could have a stall at the local farmers market or a holiday bazarr. This is so much more attainable. No setting up in the wee hours of the morning. No waiting all day for people to stop and look at your stuff. Maybe someday I will be on there. I can dream.

1 comment:

Sarah Greenman said...

I love etsy... and I think someone as talented as you would clean up on that site!