I am a creationist. Not in the Christian sense, but in the sense that I like to create and I think that as long as you are working to create something than you are moving forward. I made a necklace the other night. Some seed beads, some pearls and a school of fish charm I bought years ago and never used. It felt good just to make something. I wore it to work yesterday and my coworker remarked on it. When I told her I made it she says to me, "you made this in one night? You are so talented!" Of course I said thank you, and I do think it turned out nice, but why is it extraordinary? I see the flaws, one strand is slightly longer than I would like it to be. I know how ugly the knots are underneath the findings. I create for the therapy of it. The relaxation. And because it feels good to finish something. I don't think I am amazingly talented or anything. There are so many people out there making beaded jewelry, its not something I could ever make a living at. Perhaps I am being too humble and it is extraordinary that I can take a mishmash of materials and turn it into something pretty. I do like what I make to look nice, and I often think other things I see are ugly or tacky looking. I feel a bit of a snob sometimes when I am shown something someone else has made and I think its godawful and they are so proud of it. Why be proud of ugly art? Of course they don't think its ugly. I have known many talented artists in my life and its always the ones that are best at it that don't recognize the beauty in their own creations. Its the ones that are bad at it that think they can spray paint shit gold and call it beautiful. As an example: My sister used to make beaded items, gloves, barrettes, wallets....its was in the style of traditional Alaskan native beadwork (don't ask me which group, couldn't tell you). Every piece took hours and hours of time. She would design a pattern, she would choose the beads, she would then start the beading. When complete the entire surface area of the item was covered in beads. After that she would have to finish the piece by attaching it to a backing or what have you. I have a pair of gloves she made me. I love them and they are beautiful beyond measure. If you were to ask my sister about it she would shrug it off. I feel like she saw it at merely a way to pass the time. I could be wrong about that, but I don't think she see's how amazing it is. Whereas a friend received a handmade card from a friend that looks like the paper was cut with a lawnmower. I think making and mailing a card is the most amazing thing, it tells your friends and family that you care. But when you don't take the time to even cut the paper in a straight line, what does that say?
I think I have decided through the course of writing this that I am an art snob. And I don't feel bad about that.
Tried to take pictures of both the necklaces and the gloves my sister made. Can't get a good shot. Will post later if I can.
No comments:
Post a Comment