I often think about my lonely little blog here. Things I would love to post about come to mind and I fully intend to sit down and do it. I have accomplished quite a bit in the last year in regards to craftiness, I should be writing about them and sharing. I am actually rather proud of several things and feel that my sewing skills in particular have grown a lot in the last year and a half.
About a year ago when I got a small "bonus" from work I decided I needed a new sewing machine. I did not have the funds to go all out and get my dream Bernina but I wanted something more than my itty bitty Janome Gem Gold that has served me so well since 2001. Great little machine. I do mean little - trying to quilt anything larger than a wall hanging is like wrestling an octopus. It was also very limited with preset stitch lengths and widths with no options in between. The machine I learned to sew on was my moms old Singer but it stayed home when I moved out to go to college. The first sewing machine that was actually mine was a Brother that I believe was given to me as a birthday present. It was basic and straightforward but worked great, that thing could sew through vinyl like nobodies business. When I started learning to quilt I wanted a machine that had the attachments and I was given the Janome. So when I had the opportunity to get something new I decided to look at the Brother machines again. I decided on the PC 420 (Project Runway Edition) and I love it. It has so many stitches I haven't even tried them all and it works incredibly well with bulky quilts and other large projects. I think my favorite part is the digital stitch length and width adjustment. Might sound nerdy but its the truth. I have absolutely no regrets with this machine. There is a sewing machine shop in Aloha near my brother and sister in law that I can get attachments and other goodies for it too.
Since I got the machine I've been sewing a lot more than I had been. Finished the quilt for Miles and have also made a couple baby quilts, a purse, a tote bag, a dress for a sweet little girl and countless quilt blocks for a block of the month class I am participating in. I also have some quilt tops completed that just need to be quilted and finished as well as many ideas in the works. My goal is to start blogging about these projects more and so over the next couple weeks I hope to start sharing some of the projects here.
Today I am off work as my mother in law had surgery on a broken wrist yesterday and needed some company. She is resting so I am taking the opportunity to be on the computer a bit. Actually feels kinda weird and foreign, I am usually only on the computer at work and without actual work to do I am a bit at a loss of what to do next. Most of my blog reading is done on my IPhone.
No comments:
Post a Comment